Sunday, 21 November 2010

This is an album review of 'Hurley' by Weezer.

You'll probably have noticed/will notice a gradual decrease in quality with the titles of my blog entries. Whether they be unimaginative, or some kind of tacky pun, or down right irrelevant, I doubt I'll be able to muster up the inspiration to wow y'all with a title ever again... Oh well lets get on with the review.

'Hurley' by Weezer is not perhaps the most obvious choice for a review. Going against the usual musical grain of unknown ironic feminist bands or cult concept-album flops or, lets face it, Prince, Weezer is a band that people have heard of! I was initally put off them due to Rivers Cuomo's hair in the Sweater Song video, but they have grown and grown on me, until they have finally made an album I can enjoy all the way through :] So I think "yays" are due all around. YAY!


Now do y'all remember the system?
GREEN - the best songs, with multiple plays on iTunes
AMBER - the ones that are good, just not amazing
ORANGE - the ones that wouldn't make the playlist, but I have no problem listening to.
RED - The ones I'd delete if I didn't have such an OCD about burning the whole album


01 Memories
02 Trainwrecks
03 Brave New World
03a All My Friends Are Insects (bonus)
04 Where's My Sex?
05 Smart Girls
06 Ruling Me
07 Time Flies
08 Hang On
09 Unspoken
09a Viva La Vida - Coldplay cover (bonus) - wouldn't be so bad if the crowd didn't give such a half hearted cheer every 30 seconds :/
09b I Want To Be Something (bonus)
09c Represent - Rocked Out Mix (bonus)
10 Run Away

When I say "enjoy all the way through", I mean until the end of the first bonus track, where you may as well stop listening, with the exception of boring old track 6, 'Run Away'. Infact, if it wasn't for the slight anomaly, 'All My Friends Are Insects' (originally recorded for a Childrens TV show), I'd say just get the regular version. Not that I've been able to track a copy down.

The songs highlighted in green are purely sumptuous. I can listen to them over and over again, lovingly drowning in the jaded lyrics of 'Trainwrecks' or the anthemic, modal chorus of 'Memories'. Songs like 'Smart Girls' and 'Ruling Me' remind one of a younger, simpler Weezer who no-one has grown to love more than me. Shit, I even did my own accapella cover of Buddy Holly. Seriously. If I could upload audio onto here I'd prove it. (Go on Blogger, take a cue from Tumblr!)

All in all, I guess I'm not gonna be able to convince you how seriously amazing this CD is if you don't get on with rock music. But if you're even slightly compatible, I suggest you give the album a listen and try not to get addicted to at least one of the songs. Go on, I dare you.

Oh yeah incase you were wondering - No, Hurley from Lost being on the cover has absolutely no relevance to any of the lyrical, musical or thematic content of the album. He just, and I quote, "has an awesome face". Unfortunately I have no direct source for that quotation, but I and many other people would be inclined to agree with that statement and therefore accept it as a perfectly valid reason, even if no-one in the band officially said it :]

No comments:

Post a Comment